Homebrew Competition 5
As part of this years new Orleans Craft Beer Festival (OCBF), there will be a Homebrew Competition.
OCBF’s goal is to highlight, celebrate and bring together the best beer, food, music and friends in the east end of Ottawa and they want to include the talented home brewers!
The winner for Best in Show will have an opportunity to have their winning beer made and sold at Dominion City Brewing.
Registration is now open until May 31st – and will be capped at 150 entries.
Categories for this competition are as follows:
The categories have been divided into 8 groups. Descriptions and sub-categories will be judged based off of the 2015 Beer Judging Certificate Program – Beer Style Guidelines: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf
#1 – Lagers (includes categories 1, 2, 3, 4 & 8)
#2 – Euro; Scottish, British, German, Irish Ales (includes categories 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 & 23)
#3 – Pale Ales (includes categories 18, 21 & 22)
#4 – Ambers and Browns (includes category 19)
#5 – Stouts and Porters (includes category 20)
#6 – Wheat & Belgian Styles (includes categories 10, 24, 25 & 26)
#7 – Spice, Smoked and Wood Aged (includes categories 30, 32 & 33)
#8 – Others and Specialties (please specify style)
Entry form and Rules can be found here.
Good luck and happy brewing!
After a successful 2015, the National Capital Home Brew Competition is back for another year!
The competition will once again coincide with the Ottawa Craft Beer Festival to be held between August 26th – 28th, 2016.
Last year’s competition was successful, with just under 300 entries and some fantastic prizes for winners.
- Registration closes on Thursday July 21st – you can register via the competition website.
- This year’s competition will be based on the 2015 BJCP style guidelines.
- Cost is $6.00 per entry, limit of one entry per brewery per sub-category
- The maximum number of entries for this years competition will be 300, in order to ensure that there are enough judges to provide quality feedback.
- Winners will be announced on Sunday August 27th during the Ottawa Craft Beer Festival.
The winner of this year’s Best of Show will get a chance to work with Whitewater Brewing on a recipe to be brewed on their 30 bbl system.
Many home brewers make a great pint or several in the comfort of their home and share it with friends and family. Now, they can get recognized for their brewing skills through the National Capital HomeBrew (NCHB) Competition.
For the competitions 3rd year they are confident the number of entries from years past will surpass the 150 mark with good reason. The homebrewing community in Ottawa is a key part of the rapidly growing craft beer culture in the region and beyond. A few years ago, there were just a handful of craft breweries in Ottawa. Today, there are 17 craft breweries and/or brewpubs in the area, including two just across the river in Gatineau, with at least four more opening in 2014. Most of these craft breweries began with homebrewing entrepreneurs. Homebrewing is growing alongside the craft beer scene, with over 500 homebrewers in the Ottawa area.
Homebrewers have until Thursday, July 24th to register. To make sure you’re on the list visit http://nationalcapitalhomebrew.tumblr.com/. Judging will take place on Thursday, July 24th at two locations that are yet to be confirmed. The highlight of the NCHB Competition will be the awards ceremony which will take place August 17th at the National Capital Craft Beer Festival being hosted at Marion Dewar Plaza, Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West. All gold, silver and bronze medalists for each of the 23 categories will be awarded, plus, both the local and the national Best of Show winners.
We are making this competition truly a national event, as such we’ve put together a dedicated team of homebrewers from Ottawa and Cornwall to help make sure the competition goes as smoothly as possible.
This is a BJCP sanctioned competition, categories 1-23 will be accepted, no meads or ciders please.
There will be a limit of one entry per brewer per sub category.
The cost will be $6.00 per entry.
Entries will not be accepted after Thursday July 17th. Drop off locations and mailing addresses will be provided in the upcoming weeks.
The winners will be announced on Sunday August 17th during the final day of the National Craft Beer Festival. A list of the winners and the various styles will be announced on this website by no later the Monday the 18th of August.
Score sheets will be in the mail and should be received approximately two weeks after the end of the competition.
Winning participants unable to attend will be notified by email that their beer or beers have won.
The Members of Barleyment are pleased to announce the 2014 edition of the annual MoB & Beau’s Oktoberfest Homebrewing Competition.
The grand prize winner will get to brew their own recipe at Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company. Additional prizes (to be announced) will be offered up by other brewery and homebrew suppliers. Among the handsome MoB medals given to all those brewers who placed in each flight, last year’s prizes included kegs from OntarioBeerKegs and merchandise from Covered Bridge Brewing. Stay tuned for further prize details!
As with last year, we plan to have our competition included in the Canadian Brewer of the Year (http://www.canadianbreweroftheyear.com/) and the Brewer of the Year (http://www.breweroftheyear.com/) competitions!
This event is 2 competitions in 1!
The first is a BJCP-sanctioned competition:
All beer categories in the 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines will be accepted (Categories 1-23).
As with last year, we will have a category 99 option—details on this “style” to follow
Each brewer can submit a maximum of one entry per subcategory.
The second is a People’s Choice competition:
Attendees of Beau’s Oktoberfest 2014 will take part in judging your homebrew!
The People’s Choice Judging promotes beer literacy by getting non-homebrewers to judge competition-worthy homebrew and consult the BJCP guidelines.
Details of People’s Choice entries will be provided in a later announcement.
Entry Deadline is Friday, September 12, 2014.
For more information and updates see the Competition website: http://mob-competitions.tumblr.com/
- Beer dinner with Beau's @Das Lokal January 24, 2019 at 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm Das Lokal, 190 Dalhousie St, Ottawa, ON K1N 7C7, Canada Das Lokal and local brewing greats Beau's All Natural Brewing Co. along with their world recognized Halcyon brewery will be having their first ever Ottawa beer dinner event on January 24th at #daslokal. It will be hosted by Beau's CEO and founder Steve Beauchesne and our kitchen team. For reservations for this special event, please…
- Beyond the Pale Brewmasters Dinner January 29, 2019 at 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm 975 Bank St, 975 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON K1S 3W7 We are excited to invite you to another installment of our Brewmaster Dinner Series. We have partnered with the fine folks of Beyond the Pale Brewing Co to bring you a 4 course dinner with beer pairing. (plus a welcome beer) A bit about Beyond the Pale: "We are an Ottawa based brewery started by…
- Run to Flora Hall Brewing February 3, 2019 at 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm Flora Hall Brewing, 37 Flora St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1A7, Canada RUN TO BEER OTTAWA is inviting all the runner's out this month to Ottawa's Centretown to enjoy a group run off the canal + afterwards celebrate an active lifestyle with a beer from our friends @ FLORA HALL BREWING! Join us for a morning group run, followed by a pint, an optional tour of the brewery, some…