National Capital Homebrew Competition 3
After a successful 2015, the National Capital Home Brew Competition is back for another year!
The competition will once again coincide with the Ottawa Craft Beer Festival to be held between August 26th – 28th, 2016.
Last year’s competition was successful, with just under 300 entries and some fantastic prizes for winners.
- Registration closes on Thursday July 21st – you can register via the competition website.
- This year’s competition will be based on the 2015 BJCP style guidelines.
- Cost is $6.00 per entry, limit of one entry per brewery per sub-category
- The maximum number of entries for this years competition will be 300, in order to ensure that there are enough judges to provide quality feedback.
- Winners will be announced on Sunday August 27th during the Ottawa Craft Beer Festival.
The winner of this year’s Best of Show will get a chance to work with Whitewater Brewing on a recipe to be brewed on their 30 bbl system.
Many home brewers make a great pint or several in the comfort of their home and share it with friends and family. Now, they can get recognized for their brewing skills through the National Capital HomeBrew (NCHB) Competition.
For the competitions 3rd year they are confident the number of entries from years past will surpass the 150 mark with good reason. The homebrewing community in Ottawa is a key part of the rapidly growing craft beer culture in the region and beyond. A few years ago, there were just a handful of craft breweries in Ottawa. Today, there are 17 craft breweries and/or brewpubs in the area, including two just across the river in Gatineau, with at least four more opening in 2014. Most of these craft breweries began with homebrewing entrepreneurs. Homebrewing is growing alongside the craft beer scene, with over 500 homebrewers in the Ottawa area.
Homebrewers have until Thursday, July 24th to register. To make sure you’re on the list visit http://nationalcapitalhomebrew.tumblr.com/. Judging will take place on Thursday, July 24th at two locations that are yet to be confirmed. The highlight of the NCHB Competition will be the awards ceremony which will take place August 17th at the National Capital Craft Beer Festival being hosted at Marion Dewar Plaza, Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West. All gold, silver and bronze medalists for each of the 23 categories will be awarded, plus, both the local and the national Best of Show winners.
We are making this competition truly a national event, as such we’ve put together a dedicated team of homebrewers from Ottawa and Cornwall to help make sure the competition goes as smoothly as possible.
This is a BJCP sanctioned competition, categories 1-23 will be accepted, no meads or ciders please.
There will be a limit of one entry per brewer per sub category.
The cost will be $6.00 per entry.
Entries will not be accepted after Thursday July 17th. Drop off locations and mailing addresses will be provided in the upcoming weeks.
The winners will be announced on Sunday August 17th during the final day of the National Craft Beer Festival. A list of the winners and the various styles will be announced on this website by no later the Monday the 18th of August.
Score sheets will be in the mail and should be received approximately two weeks after the end of the competition.
Winning participants unable to attend will be notified by email that their beer or beers have won.
- Bend and Brunch January 2020 January 25, 2020 at 9:30 am – 11:00 am CRAFT Beer Market - Ottawa, 975 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON K1S 3W7 Kick off the New Year and join us at CRAFT Ottawa for the first Bend and Brunch of 2020! Each class offers an hour of yoga starting at 9:30 am, hosted by our friends at Yoga on Tap. Then brunch with your choice of: Avocado and White Cheddar Farmhouse Benny, served on a house made…
- Byward Beer Market: Winterlude Edition February 1, 2020 at 11:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Bier Markt Ottawa Winterlude Brewmaster Dinner February 1, 2020 at 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm Bier Markt, 156 Sparks Street, Ottawa, ON K1P 5C1 We're excited to invite you to our Winterlude Brewmaster's Dinner! https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/bier-markt-ottawa-winterlude-brewmaster-dinner-tickets-85117417487?aff=eand