Bells Corners Beer 3
Ottawa Beer Events first chatted with Ian McMartin about Whiprsnapr Brewing Company back in December 2013. Since then he, along with his 2 partners have been busy brewing, demolishing and building their brewery in Bells Corners which will open its doors to the public today for the first time.
As with most new breweries they are starting small, brewing on a 1.5 barrel system for now but intend to move to a 20 barrel system in the future (you can see the shiny new equipment is set up in their brewery).
Not all of Whiprsnapr's beers will be available today, but their lineup gives you sneak peek at what they intend to offer:
Root of Evil – Preprohibition Lager (4.4% ABV, 32 IBU)
This crisp and clean pre-prohibition lager reflects the way beer was made before probition. Local grains and hops, a touch of roasted corn and a hint of smoke will take you back to the bootlegging days.
Inukshuk – Canadian IPA (5.5% ABV, 55 IBU)
We made this 'Canadian' IPA to remind you of those days of just being in the woods doing whatever, breathing in all the good clean air.
F'n'L – British IPA (6% ABV, 70 IBU)
British malts, hops and yeast with distinct aroma. A 'British India Pale Ale' – big, loud, hard hitting punk rock beer.
Black Sunshine – Black Lager (5.8% ABV, 28 IBU)
This black lager uses dark roasted malts and is aged with whisky soaked oak chips – makes it smooth and tasty. Goes fast!
Carol Anne – Irish Blonde Ale (4.7% ABV, 34 IBU)
An Irish blonde ale – fresh as a spring day, full of floral aromas with hints of fruit. Named after brewer/owner Ian's Mom who helped harvest his first hop crop. A portion of the proceeds go to the Canadian cancer society.
Make sure to stop in an grab a pint, as they are one of the few breweries in town with a By the Glass license. Their beer will also be available for sale in 1 litre growlers wich will range from $7 – $9 with a $3 deposit and they have lots of great merchandise for sale in their signature purple, which also made it's way onto their bar and tap handles!
Whiprsnapr Brewing Company is located at 14 Bexley Place (Unit 106) in Bells Corners (behind The Butchery). Their opening hours are Thursday (4pm – 9pm), Friday (12pm – 9pm), Saturday (11am – 9pm) and Sunday (12pm – 5pm).
**NOTE – THIS POST IS NOT BEING UPDATED – FOR AN UPDATED LIST VISIT THE RESOURCES SECTION OF THE WEBSITE:
BREWERIES/BREW PUBS: https://ottawabeerevents.ca/ottawa-area-breweries
RESTAURANTS & BARS: https://ottawabeerevents.ca/ottawa-bars-restaurants-with-craft-beer/
Local Breweries, Brew Pubs and Contract Breweries
Don’t worry, we’ve mapped out all of these breweries on a handy Google Map. Happy Beer Tourism!
- Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company (Vankleek Hill)
- Beyond the Pale Brewing Company (Hintonburg)
- Bicycle Craft Brewery (Trainyards)
- Brasseurs de l’Outaouais (Gatineau)
- Broadhead Brewing Company (Nepean)
- Broken Stick Brewing Company (Ottawa)
- Calabogie Brewing Company (Calabogie)
- Cartwright Springs Brewery (Pakenham)
- Cassel Brewery Company (Casselman)
- Covered Bridge Brewing Company (Kanata)
- Dominion City Brewing Company (Ottawa)
- Kichesippi Beer Company (Westboro)
- Nita Beer Company (Ottawa)
- Perth Brewery (Perth)
- Rurban Brewing (Cornwall)
- Square Timber Brewing Company (Pembroke)
- Stalwart Brewing (Carleton Place)
- Tooth and Nail Brewing Company (Ottawa)
- Waller St. Brewing (Byward Market)
- Whiprsnapr Brewing Company (Ottawa)
- Whitewater Brewing Company (Forresters Falls)
- Ashton Brewing Company (Beckwith)
- Big Rig Brewery & Kitchen (Nepean)
- Brasseurs Du Temps (Gatineau)
- Les 3 Brasseurs (Sparks Street, Kanata)
- Lowertown Brewery (Ottawa)
- Microbrasserie-Bistro Gainsbourg (Gatineau)
- Mill Street Brew Pub (Lebreton Flats)
- The Clocktower Brew Pub (New Edinburgh, Glebe, Westboro, Byward Market)
Contract Breweries (breweries that hire another brewery to produce their beer)
- B-Side Brewing Label (Brews out of Beau’s – “B-Side Brewing Label is like a record label, for beer. We sign craft brewer “artists” who we respect and believe are making great beer to our brewing label.”)
- Brasserie Tuque de Broue (Brews out of Kichesippi – opening in May in Embrun)
- HogsBack Brewing Company (Various breweries including Broadhead)
- Crooked Mile Brewing (Almonte)
- Evergreen Craft Ales (Ottawa)
- Mad Hatter Brew Company (Ottawa)
- The Weather Brewery (Ottawa)
Where to Buy Beer
Beer can only be purchased at The Beer Store (a privately owned chain of retail outlets), the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (a provincial Crown corporation), breweries and brew pubs. Most of Ottawa’s breweries sell their beer in refillable growlers.
There are a few grocery stores in the Ottawa area that now sell 6 packs of beer:
- Farm Boy, 2030 Tenth Line in Orleans.
- Sobeys, 193 Metcalfe Street.
- Loblaws, 1980 Baseline Road.
- Metro, 3201 Strandherd Drive in Nepean.
- Real Canadian Superstore, 760 Eagleson Road.
- Sobeys, 700 Terry Fox Drive in Kanata.
- Sobeys, 840 March Road in Kanata.
- Independent, 1251 Main Street, Stittsville.
In Quebec beer can be bought at the Société des alcools du Quebec (a provincial Crown corporation), breweries, brew pubs and privately owned stores. Since Ottawa’s so close to some great Quebec beer stores it’s worth the drive to go bottle shopping. Here are some of our favourite stops:
Beer Bars and Restaurants
Lots of places offer beer on their menu, but these fine establishments offer a better selection featuring more of the locals. In case you need a bit of direction here’s a Google Map
- Black Tomato
- Brothers Beer Bistro
- Heart & Crown
- Murray Street Kitchen
- Must Wine Bar
- Patty Boland’s
- Smoque Shack
- The Albion Rooms
- Vineyards Wine Bar Bistro
- Arrow and Loon
- Atomic Rooster
- Bier Markt
- D’Arcy McGee’s
- Pints & Quarts
- The Royal Oak
- Union Local 613
- Arrow and Loon
- Crust and Crate Public House
- House of TARG
- Irene’s Pub
- Jack Astor’s Lansdowne
- Local Public Eatery
- Black Pepper Urban Pub
- Hintonburg Public House
- The Elmdale Oyster House & Tavern
- The Wellington Gastropub
Old Ottawa South
- Collective Arts: Origins of Darkness Day November 17, 2019 at 11:00 am – 10:00 pm Bar Lupulus Making beer beautiful inside and out of the can since 2014, Collective Arts has also managed to collaborate on some of Ontario's best beers with some of the best Brewers in the world. Last years inaugural launch of a 6 part series labelled Origins of Darkness was an incredibly strong testimate to that, not only…
- Matron Fine Beer: Pop Up Pizza Party November 19, 2019 at 12:00 pm – 2:00 am Bar Lupulus The good people from Ontario's best new Brewery are rolling into town and throwing a little shin dig at Lupulus. They wanted to keep it light hearted and playful so they invited Mike and Bernie from 10 x Cups to rock a pizza party pop up in our kitchen. Matron's tapping 5 offerings including the…
- Comedy Night @Vimy Brewing Company November 22, 2019 at 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm Vimy Brewing Company Event: https://facebook.com/events/1148930738828986/ Ottawa has a thirst for live comedy and here's where it get quenched. Come enjoy a premium club level show at a cozy local brewery.