This past weekend we got to attend the Canadian Brewing Awards as media and it was an amazing experience.
Not only did we get to talk beer with the who’s who of Brewers across the country, we got to witness the passion and camraderie within Canada’s craft beer community.
Highlights of the weekend we’re the seminars on topics of interest ranging from barrel aging beer to water management to off flavours, the industry ballet of the bands brewery party and the inspiring keynote speech by Steve Beauchesne, founder of Beau’s All Natural Brewing.
It was great to learn about breweries from coast to coast and what set them apart from others and to try some of the award winning beer that we otherwise may not have had the chance.
The full list of winners can be found here.
Next year’s awards will be held in beautiful Halifax Nova Scotia.
You won’t want to miss this event on Saturday! Join Bicycle Craft Brewery for their 2nd annual Biergarten! A great event to celebrate Spring and patio/bike season!
Be the first to try some of their newest beers including a Guava Milkshake IPA and the return of Juan Almonte jalapeño Pale ale!
We’re excited to announce 2 upcoming guided beer tastings – both very different but guaranteed to be a great time!! Click on the event below for more information/to purchase tickets
Here are some of the things we like to discuss during our tastings:
– The brewing process from A to Z
– How to taste beer
– Beer serving tips
– Beer style identities – the characteristics of each style
– the Ottawa brewing scene
– Beer History
– Whatever beer-y topic may interest you!!!
For additional information or to book your own tasting, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Here’s what’s coming up this week in Ottawa Beer :
- Saturday July 9th@12pm – Saison D’Etre Brewery Market @Hintonburg Park
- Free admission
- “Saison d’Être” will feature the farmhouse Saison. Expect your standard local favourites, along with some tasty special-edition beers. Tasters will be available for all featured Saisons
- Saturday July 9th @9am- Bend & Brunch with Yoga on Tap @CRAFT Beer Market $25
- Bring your own mat for a one hour yoga class hosted by our friends at Yoga on Tap, and then stay for brunch with your choice of a Kichesippi Radler or Culture Kombucha.
- Saturday July 9th @11am – Cornwall Summer Beerfest @Nav Centre $20
- Sunday July 10th @2pm – Run Now, Beer Later @Tooth & Nail Brewery
- Drop in for a casual road run led by one of our run coaches. Perfect for any level, we will run 2-3km with a focus on fun over speed.
- Our run will start and end at Tooth and Nail Brewing Company, we are doing a 2K loop and we run rain or shine.
- Wednesday July 14th @5pm – Barley’s Angels Family & Friends BBQ & ball game $30 @Raymond Charest stadium
- Watch the Ottawa Champions take on the Trois Rivieres Aigles
- Each ticket* includes: all-you-can-eat pulled pork sandwiches and hot dogs (vegetarian option available for those who purchase a VEGETARIAN ticket), drinks (pop), 2 beer (adult tickets only) , chips (and, perhaps, popcorn); and your game ticket (general admission).
Want us to mention your upcoming event? Drop us a line email@example.com
Since the news first broke last year that CRAFT would be opening an Ottawa location at Landsdowne Park, craft beer nerds have been “hopped up” waiting for the doors to open.
After a few delays, CRAFT Beer Market Ottawa, opened its doors officially last Thursday, May 12th.
We got a chance to take a sneak peek during their soft launch on Wednesday evening. Our first impressions are: delicious food, great craft beer selection (especially the local offerings), amazing space (can’t wait to check out the patio) and super friendly staff.
Winter can be cold and unforgiving, so what better way to warm up than with a few friends and some local craft beer!! Here is some info on the 2 beer fests coming up in the area!
Festibiere D'Hiver – January 29th & 30th – The Canadian Museum of History – Gatineau
Here's some of the info you'll need to know about the fest:
- Tickets: $15 in advance, $22.50 2 days prior to the event, $25 at the door (entrance fee includes a festival glass)
- Event is cash only! (there will be 4 ATMs on site)
- Parking: $6 on site and ample street parking in the area
- Public Transit: If you show your proof of purchase, your STO ride is free!
- Beer samples: 4oz per sample (samples range from 2-6oz depending on the beer)
- Coat check: There is a coat check for $2
You can purchase tickets to the event here:
Winter Brewfest – February 12th & 13th – Lansdowne Park – Ottawa
Winter Brewfest returns for its second year this year with over 35 local and Quebec breweries.
Here is some information you'll want to know about the fest:
- The fest is once again broken into sessions as follows
Session #1: Friday February 12th 2pm to 7pm
Session #2: Friday February 12th 8pm to 1am
Session #3: Saturday February 13th 2pm to 7pm
Session #4: Saturday February 13th 8pm to 1am
- Event is Cash Only! ATMs will be available on site.
- Tickets: (includes festival glass) $15 for Early Bird, $20 for presale and $25 regular price
- Tokens: $10 for 10 tokens
- Beer samples: 4oz per sample (samples range from 2-6oz depending on the beer)
- Transit: Your proof of purchase will get you a free ride on OC Transpo!
Buy tickets here
Vinterat Liquorice Stout ABV 5.3% IBU 23
Danish for Winter Night, Vinternat is a liquorice stout that celebrates our darkest time of the year. Using Lakrids raw Persian liquorice root imported from Denmark, this stout is a collaboration brew with Jacobsons Gourmet Concepts in Ottawa. Nearly black in colour with a chocolatey head, Vinternat is full bodied and has aromas of roasted barley, dark chocolate and hints of liquorice. On the palate, a subtle sweetness, noticeable liquorice flavour and a cooling sensation unique to liquorice root.
Jacobsons recommends pairing this wintertime brew with a number of the specialty cheeses they have on their wall. In particular, the Alpine style, rich flavour of Five Brothers cheese from Ontario and the soft wash-rind of the Cremeux de Jura from France are exceptional partners.
Bicyle Craft Brewery will be sampling it in their shop at 850 Industrial Avenue, Unit 12 all day tomorrow as well as at Jacobsons on Beechwood from 11am – 4pm where they will also have the cheese to pair with it.
On November 28, Jerry Vietz, Brewmaster and Sylvain Bouchard, Beer Sommelier, from Unibroue, the award-winning, leading craft brewery, will be in Ottawa for a Consumer tasting session, with food pairings by Bier Markt Executive Chef Michael Cipollo.
The event will celebrate the limited releases of Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve (2015 vintage) and La Fin du Monde in an exclusive, hand-poured 6-litre bottle format with a tasting guided by Unibroue’s Brewmaster Jerry Vietz and Beer Sommelier Sylvain Bouchard.
Date: Saturday, November 28, 2015
Time: 3:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Place: Rideau Street LCBO (275 Rideau St.)
The tasting will be followed by a bottle-signing session at Bier Markt (156 Sparks St) from 7:00 p.m to 9:00 p.m.
A very limited number of spots are available for each event.
Tickets are $35 and can be purchased by phoning the helloLCBO Contact Centre at 1-800-668-5226 or 416-365-5900. HelloLCBO is open Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Limit of two tickets per person, per call.
Ticketholders will be among the first to be able to purchase the exclusive 6-litre bottles and will have the opportunity to take a photo with Jerry Vietz and Sylvain Bouchard, and to have their bottle autographed.
Jerry Vietz will provide insight on the way Unibroue 17 and La Fin du Monde are crafted and the inspiration behind them. “I'm happy to introduce the new limited-edition 6-litre bottle of La Fin du Monde and Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve in their branded wooden case – only 50 of which will be available for each beer in the Ontario market,” says Vietz. “La Fin du Monde is one of Unibroue's most iconic beers. It has earned more medals and awards – including some of the world's highest honours – than any other Canadian beer. I'm also thrilled with our fifth edition of the Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve, another multiple award winner, which is brewed only once a year.”
The 6-litre bottles are available exclusively at Summerhill LCBO in Toronto and the Rideau Street LCBO in Ottawa. Other varieties of Unibroue are available at LCBO stores across the province. Blanche de Chambly and La Fin du Monde are offered year-round in 341mL pack formats. Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve is available in its 2015 vintage, its fifth annual release at the LCBO.
6-litre bottles of La Fin du Monde will be sold for $149.00 and Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve will be sold for $199.00.
It's hard to believe that it's been a year already!! Visit Whiprsnapr Brewing Company this Friday October 30th to celebrate their birthday! Visit the Haunted Brewery and see the wreckingcrew zombies. Admission is free and there will be free snacks and treats.
They will be providing free 5oz samples of their new beer – troublmakr for everyone attending the event! 1L growlers will also be avialable for sale.
A 10%. 100 ibu. Black cherry wood smoked IPA. That's right – it's a real nice punch in the face!
We use a crap ton of Newport, Challenger and Columbus hops to give a super earthy bite – then dry hop it with fresh whole cone Centennial hops to overload your senses – boom!
More information on their Facebook event page.
Tickets are $27 and include a complimentary Bicycle Craft Beer and a 1/4lb hotdog on a homemade bun. There will be lots of Bicycle Craft Brews available as well as games and live music!
Tickets are available via Eventbrite!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bend and Brunch Summer Sessions! June 23, 2018 at 9:00 am – 12:00 pm CRAFT Beer Market, 975 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON K1S 3W7 Join us at CRAFT Ottawa for an hour of yoga starting at 9:30 am, hosted by our friends at Yoga on Tap, then brunch and your choice of a Stiegl Radler, or Culture Kombucha! With the Outdoor Sessions Sign in begins at 9AM at CRAFT with the class beginning at 9:30 at Sylvia Holden Park! We…
- Brewery Market : Second Draught June 23, 2018 at 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm Hintonburg Park, Hintonburg Park, Hintonburg - Mechanicsville, Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Kichesippi Brewery Brewmasters Dinner June 26, 2018 at 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm CRAFT Beer Market, 975 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON K1S 3W7 We're excited to invite you to another edition of our monthly Brewmaster's Dinner Series. We've partnered with a very exciting choice, Kichesippi Brewery, located here in Ottawa, Ontario, to bring you a 4-course dinner and beer pairing event (plus welcome beer). Menu To Come!! Dinner will be served at 6:30, so we welcome you to…